Nurture Groups are a contemporary approach to inclusive education and are designed to increase the access to learning for children.
A Nurture group is a small discrete class which provides a safe and structured environment; giving children opportunities to revisit early missed ‘nurturing’ experiences. Positive relationships are modelled by teacher and teaching assistants. There is an emphasis on developing language and communication skills.
Students work in small groups, in pairs and 1:1 with an adult. Careful targeted teaching and learning opportunities enable students to raise the levels of their achievement. The National Curriculum and all school policies are taken into account.
Parents and carers are kept informed and are encouraged to work in partnership with our school.
Principles of Nurture Group
- Students learning is understood developmentally, i.e. stages not ages.
- The classroom is a safe place
- Nurture is important for the development of self-esteem
- Language is a vital means of communication
- The importance of transition in children’s lives